A web host is a service that allows a website or a web application to host on a computer system, called a web server. For example, when a visitor wants to go to a website, they enter the domain name in the browser’s search bar. The browser then sends the connection request to the web server, which then delivers the web pages to the browser so the visitor can see them. The web server can host all types of content, such as HTML pages, multimedia media files, graphics, and more.
There are different types of web servers or web hosts. We are going to discuss each of them in brief below.
Shared WordPress hosting
In shared WordPress hosting, several websites are hosted on the same web server. Shared WordPress hosting is secured by the web hosting provider, it is affordable, and it comes with 24/7 support. The major drawback of shared WordPress hosting is that putting up several websites on the same web server may slow down your website too (the server’s resources get distributed). Second, it is not as flexible as dedicated hosting.
Dedicated WordPress hosting
In dedicated WordPress hosting, all the resources of a web server are dedicated to your website. This type of hosting is more suited to large websites with high traffic. Dedicated WordPress hosting is best for large businesses, comes with excellent database support, offers unlimited support for any software you may want to run in conjunction with your website, has excellent email support, and offers full root access to the server. The main drawbacks are that it is expensive (because the entire server is dedicated to your website and applications) and requires a whole set of different skills to set up, run, and maintain.
Managed WordPress hosting
Managed WordPress hosting is a type of premium web hosting that caters to WordPress websites only. WordPress.com is a type of managed WordPress hosting. Here, the latest version of WordPress is installed automatically, and the service provider performs version updates themself. Caching is provided for improved performance. File access is restricted, enhancing security. Backups are done automatically and daily. SSL certificate is integrated into the website. You can even migrate the website with a single click. The main limitations of managed WordPress hosting are it does not support multisite networks. Second, some plugins are not allowed. If you are a new WordPress user and don’t have tech skills, we recommend you go for Managed WordPress hosting.
Virtual private server WordPress hosting
In virtual private hosting, virtualization technology is used to split a single web server (physical machine) into several private servers, which can host websites separately. Some websites have grown too large for shared hosting, but the cost of a dedicated server is still very high. A virtual private server or VPS offers a dedicated hosting experience without the high associated costs for such websites. In addition, a VPS provides more performance, security, and reliability than a shared server. Plus, unlike a shared server, you don’t have to share CPU, RAM, bandwidth, or disc space with another website.
Free WordPress hosting
Free hosting is a type of shared hosting where you don’t have to pay any hosting fees. It is suitable for blogs or those who want to try coding or website building. Some companies offer free hosting. The catch is these companies will put up advertisements on your website, and you can’t do anything about it because it was free in the first place. In addition, free hosting comes with minimal features, resources, and support.
As we’ve discussed, the best type of hosting for a WordPress website is managed hosting, where the web host takes care of the significant functions. However, the other hosting services also have particular advantages (and disadvantages). Therefore, you should speak to your website administrator before choosing any hosting plan.
Some of the popular web hosts are
- Bluehost – Bluehost is a web hosting company owned by Endurance International Group. It is one of the 20 largest web hosts, collectively hosting well over 2 million domains with its sister companies, HostMonster, FastDomain and iPage. The company operates its servers in-house in a 50,000 square foot (4,600 m2) facility in Provo, Utah, which is now shared with sister company HostMonster. Bluehost employs over 750 people in its Utah facility.
- GoDaddy – GoDaddy is a publicly traded Internet domain registrar and web hosting company, headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona, and incorporated in Delaware. As of December 2020, GoDaddy has approximately 21 million customers and over 77 million domain names under management. The company offers a variety of services including website hosting, website design, online marketing, and domain name registration. GoDaddy also offers web security, email, and other online services.
- Hostinger – Hostinger is a web hosting company that was founded in 2004. The company offers a variety of web hosting services, including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and cloud hosting. Hostinger has servers in over 190 countries and is one of the largest web hosting companies in the world. The company has a strong focus on providing excellent customer service and offering a wide range of features and tools to its customers.
- Kinsta – Kinsta is a managed WordPress hosting platform that offers high-performance, scalability, and security. The company was founded in 2013 by WordPress experts with a passion for performance. It provides a fast, reliable, and secure hosting experience for WordPress users of all sizes. The company offers a wide variety of features, including automatic backups, one-click staging, and a powerful WordPress dashboard. It is a great option for WordPress users who are looking for a high-performance, reliable, and secure hosting solution.
- WordPress.com – WordPress.com is a popular blogging platform that allows users to create and manage their own blogs. WordPress.com is a free service that is hosted by WordPress.org, and it is one of the most popular blogging platforms in the world. WordPress.com is easy to use and has a variety of features that make it a great choice for bloggers of all levels of experience.
If you are looking to build a new WordPress website and are in this dilemma, feel free to contact us, and we will help you decide what type of web host to choose, among other things.